Bad breath, or halitosis, may be a temporary condition brought about by enjoying spicy foods or cigarette smoking. In this case, a bad breath treatment may simply be gum or mouthwash to mask the odor. However, for those who suffer from chronic halitosis, the condition is permanent and can cause a great deal of embarrassment. Dr. Charles McBrayer can diagnose the underlying cause of your bad breath and provide various therapies, including gum disease treatment in Hixson, TN.
Why Do I Have Bad Breath?
There are a surprising number of contributors to bad breath. Sinus infection, medications, and even food can cause odor. It is possible that your bad breath treatment may just be a matter of reaching for water instead of coffee. The following factors are known to cause bad breath:
• Coffee and alcohol can cause bad breath, as can a dry mouth, so be sure to drink lots of water to freshen your breath.
• A sinus or respiratory infection can create malodor.
• Tooth decay or an abscessed tooth can lead to the need for a bad breath treatment.
• Medications and supplements can cause bad breath. Some of these supplements, such as garlic or fish oil, are now available in odor-free versions.
• Onions, garlic, and boiled eggs are known offenders.
• Periodontal disease is one of the most common causes of bad breath.
• Medical conditions like diabetes, GERD, or kidney failure can be at the root of the problem.
Bad Breath Treatments
Depending upon source, your bad breath treatment will vary. However, the most common reason for halitosis is periodontal disease. In this case, seek gum disease treatment in Hixson, TN. Dr. McBrayer offers several options for mild to severe periodontal disease and can help you to restore your gum health as well as fresh breath. The best treatment is always prevention so make sure to brush and floss regularly and schedule professional cleanings.